Who can attend?
Applicants must currently be in their junior year in high school or the home school equivalent.
It is the rule of the Illini Girls State Commission that the selection of the applicants must be based on fairness. Selection should not be limited to Junior members of the American Legion Auxiliary or to the family members of The American Legion Family.
The week at Illini Girls State is busy and the citizens will do a lot of walking. Being able to walk long distances and tolerate long days is important. However, we do our best to accommodate any physical disabilities. If the applicant has a heart condition that limits her ability to walk long distances or has had a recent operation you should consult your physician and provide us with a release from the physician that you can participate in all activities.
If an applicant had physical disabilities that require assitance to fully participate in the program, she must provide her own caretaker for the week if one is needed. The caretaker must be at least 21 years of age. It will be the sponsoring Unit's or the applicant's family's responsibility to pay all expenses for the caretaker. These expenses include transportation, meals, and lodging.
There is an application that must be filled out and returned to the local American Legion Auxiliary Unit. This application can be found on this website. Please note that the following rules apply:
- The application must be signed by the high school principal or guidance counselor certifying that the applicant is maintaining a C average or above, possesses qualities of leadership, has good character, and is cooperative.
- Applicants must attend the entire session of Illini Girls State.
- Each applicant must be willing to pledge allegiance to the Flag of our Country and abide by all rules of Illini Girls State.
- Applicants must be sponsored by an American Legion Auxiliary Unit. If you are unsure how to find a Unit, you can call our Department office at 1-309-663-9366 for assistance. Auxiliary Units can accept outside funding to send an applicant, but the sponsor is still that Auxiliary Unit.
- The applicant will be expected to visit or send a written report to the sponsoring Unit highlighting her expericences at Illini Girls State.